Education and Childcare T Level - Bridgwater & Taunton College

Course Overview

This challenging and exciting course focuses of childcare and education from 0 to 19, including child development and behaviours. Topics could include reflective practice, working with others in the sector, observations and assessments, safeguarding and supporting education.

The content is divided into five performance outcomes:

  • Support and promote children’s play, development and early education
  • Build relationships with children to facilitate their development
  • Plan, provide and review care, play and educational opportunities to enable children to progress
  • Safeguard and promote the health, safety and well-being of children
  • Work in partnership with colleagues, parents, carers and other professionals to support children’s development

Around 80% of your time is spent at College with the remaining 20% at your industry placement. Along with specialist teaching at BTC, your industry placement is a key part of the programme. Experience with a real employer in a real workplace will allow you to apply the skills and knowledge you learn in the classroom to the job, giving you a taste of the world of work you can expect once you complete your studies.

This qualification includes a mixture of classroom learning and on-the-job experience during an industry placement of a minimum of 750 hours across the two years. This amount of experience provides you with a licence to practise in early years education and care.

Assessment Methods

You will be assessed through written and practical examinations, employer projects, group work, presentations and analysis.

Progression Options

On successful completion, you could find employment in an early years setting such as primary education or nursery. Alternatively, you could progress to study a Higher or Degree Apprenticeship, degree or higher level technical qualification.

Course Summary

Course Title Education and Childcare T Level
Entry Requirements

You need five GCSEs in the 9 to 4 range with grade 5 in English and grade
4 in maths and science at grade 4, as well as a keen interest in the topic.

Entry is subject to a successful interview and an enhanced DBS. If you have not
achieved the required grades to start a T Level, you could complete our tailored
transition programme.

Start Date
Start Time  
End Time  
Remaining Places  


I didn’t know anyone when I started but quickly make new friendships and have gained in confidence. The work experience helped with that, as well as the staff being really supportive.

Charlotte Whiterod

Additional Information

Add to Shortlist

© 2020 Bridgwater & Taunton College, Bath Road, Bridgwater, Somerset, TA6 4PZ, United Kingdom | Terms / Privacy / Cookies | Accessibility Made by Wave