Select date to apply
Add to Shortlist
You need to be employed to start an Apprenticeship. Please visit our vacancy page or if you have an employer, please ensure you add full contact details of your employer within your application. If you are unable to secure employment, you could enrol on a full-time study programme and transfer to an Apprenticeship at a later date. Please apply for a full-time course as your second option.
This Apprenticeship is for construction labourers and groundworkers who are looking to learn the trade and achieve a formal qualification as a groundworker.
The Apprenticeship will be delivered at the Construction Skills and Innovation Centre, working with specialist trainers on practical projects at our 8 acre construction training facility.
Units of study/what is involved:
· Health and Safety you will learn about the principles of health, safety and welfare and environmentally responsible work practices.
· Risk Assessments you will understand the principles of risk assessment and create your own risk assessments for your practical projects. There are many hazards in construction that you will need to be aware of and you will be taught how to identify and mitigate those.
· Read a variety of construction drawings, including Building Information Modelling (BIM) and be able to interpret a range of construction site documentation.
· Different methods of construction, both traditional and modern.
· How to move, handle and store a range of construction resources.
· You will use a range of equipment to set out and prepare your groundworks projects including measuring equipment, wacker plates, hand tools, power tools and laser levels.
· You will mix mortars and concrete by hand and by mixer, making sure the correct ratios are used before laying concrete to a range of finishes.
· You will install and test basic drainage and ducting, working to falls to make sure the systems work effectively.
· You will learn about ground preparation and use geo-membranes to stabilise the soil for excavations and reinstatement.
· You will work on various concreting projects to calculate the materials needed before pouring oversights, paths and forming slabs.
· You will learn how to set out and lay patios, pavers and edgings.
· You will learn how to form basic brickwork and work to prepare access covers and frames.
· You will learn how to locate and excavate buried services using a CAT and electronic location instruments.
· You will learn how to reinstate excavations and surfaces from a variety of sub-bases.
· Youll learn how to direct and guide vehicles, plant and machinery around the site safely.
Remote and class based theory sessions can be recorded and revisited via your online Microsoft Teams class page.
Interactive practical instruction at the Construction Skills and Innovation Centre in Cannington will form the majority of your training time. You will be formatively assessed throughout your apprenticeship to make sure you have the skills and knowledge to successfully complete your EPA.
Workplace visits from our team of specialist trainers will support you with building your portfolio of evidence.
English and maths sessions will be available to support you to achieve the required standards of the Apprenticeship.
Successful completion of the Apprenticeship could lead on to more
supervisory roles and courses in the construction industry. Alternatively, the
CSIC facility offers a range of CPCS plant training which could also be a
progression route to becoming a machine operator.
|Course Title||Groundworker Apprenticeship Level 2|
There are no formal entry requirements but a proactive attitude and positive
Individuals without Level 1 English and maths will need to achieve this level
For those with an education, health and care plan or a legacy statement, the
|Attendance Requirements||You will attend College on a block release basis and be required to collect evidence and complete work remotely on an e-portfolio system. A member of our specialist trainer team will visit you on site and support you to build your portfolio of evidence in readiness for your EPA.|
Coming to college was daunting at first but the independence you gain is amazing. I have definitely developed as a person and become more adult due to the freedom we are given here, it really prepares you for the future.
Add to Shortlist