Choosing what to do after school can be hard. Every course is different, so it’s important to know what’s on offer before deciding which option is best for you. Bridgwater & Taunton College (BTC) provides five different types of course or ‘pathway’ (IB, A Levels, BTEC/vocational, Apprenticeships, T Levels). Each one is different, so it’s important to pick one which suits you, how you like to learn, and the career or job you would like to have in the future.
If you’re keen to get out of the classroom and into the workplace, and want to gain nationally-recognised qualifications that will help kickstart your career, then an Apprenticeship could be for you. So, what do you need to know about being an apprentice?
- Apprenticeships give you lots of choice – BTC offers over 120 different Apprenticeships in 17 different sectors, relating to 1500 job roles in a wide range of industries. And if you think we only offer subjects like Engineering, Construction and Hair and Beauty, think again! There are Apprenticeships in Computing & Digital, Nuclear (Clean Energy), Agriculture, Fashion & Textiles, Uniformed Protective Services, Food & Drink, Health & Social Care, and more!
- Apprentices get paid – If you become an apprentice, you will have the same rights as any employee. This means that you should receive employee benefits, such as paid holiday, as well as a government-set apprentices minimum wage. You would also have the same legal rights as other employees.
- Apprentices train with top employers across the UK – BTC works with fantastic employers of all shapes and sizes across the country. Our apprentices are employed by organisations including EDF, the Ministry of Defence, Environment Agency, Thatchers, Mulberry, the NHS, Yeo Valley, Morrisons and Wessex Water.
- Apprentices learn the skills employers want – Because apprentices train with employers in a relevant industry setting, they gain the skills employers are looking for. This practical training looks great on your CV and prepares you well for a career.
- Apprentices learn in college too – Apprentices spend most of their time in the workplace but also come to college to gain a nationally-recognised qualification. You might come to College on the same day each week, or come for several days at a time, depending upon what works best for your employer and job role.
- Apprenticeships include English and maths – English and maths are essential in all walks of life and careers. If you have not already achieved your GCSE English and Maths, you may be able to achieve these qualifications alongside your apprenticeship.
- Apprentices are supported and mentored – If you become an apprentice, you will be supported and mentored by a specialist team. Your assessor will see you regularly in your workplace and you will learn at a pace suited to you.
- Apprenticeships go up to degree level – BTC offers Apprenticeships at different levels, so you can progress and complete qualifications from Level 2 (Intermediate) right up to Level 6 (Degree Apprenticeships).
- Apprentices train in state-of-the-art facilities – At BTC, you’ll train in our industry-standard settings, designed and equipped like professional, work environments. Depending upon the Apprenticeship you choose, you could find yourself training in a workshop, salon or studio, at our 200-hectare working farm, the McMillan Theatre, the Animal Management Centre, or the Quantock Restaurant, many of which are open to the public, giving you the opportunity to learn in real commercial businesses. And there’s more to come! A new Business Hub and an innovative Construction & Civil Engineering building will be opening at our Bridgwater campus and a Health & Early Years Hub in Taunton.
- Apprenticeships lead to increased future earnings – Apprentices often enjoy marked salary increases when they finish their training. Higher Apprentices (Level 4/5) can see increased earnings of an estimated £150,000 over their lifetime. Apprenticeships also help you climb the ranks in the workplace because people know what you can do, and trust the training you’ve received.
Apprenticeships are just one of the options you can choose from after school. Every course – A Levels, International Baccalaureate, BTECs/vocational qualifications, Apprenticeships, T Levels – offers you something different, so it’s important to weigh up your options and pick the right one for you.
We’re here to help! If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Bridgwater & Taunton College’s Information and Advice team on 01278 441234 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Our website www.btc.ac.uk will also allow you to view the course options, enrichment opportunities and support services available for you to access. Alternatively, come along to one of our open events; view our facilities, speak with our experienced staff and experience the BTC atmosphere.