Choosing what to do after school can be hard. Every course is different, so it’s important to know what’s on offer before deciding which option is best for you. Bridgwater & Taunton College (BTC) provides five different types of course or ‘pathway’ (IB, A Levels, BTEC/vocational, Apprenticeships, T Levels). Each one is different, so it’s important to pick one which suits you, how you like to learn, and the career or job you would like to have in the future. So what’s special about A Levels?
If you’re leaving school soon and have achieved great GCSE results, A Levels might seem like an obvious next step. But there are so many options after school, how can you be sure that A Levels at BTC really are the right choice for you?
- A Levels subjects are exciting and varied – At BTC, there are nearly 30 different A Level subjects to choose from. Some of these will be familiar – such as Art & Design, Computer Science, Biology, French, Geography and Physics – but college may be the first opportunity you’ve had to explore subjects like Criminology, Psychology, Law, Politics, Sociology or Fashion & Textiles! You should choose subjects that fit well together and are accepted for your preferred university course, but our team can help you decide what works best for you and your career goals.
- A Level students get great results – In 2022, 72% of A Level subjects achieved a 100% pass rate and 58% of students achieved at least 1 high grade. Year on year, our students consistently achieve results that they can be proud of.
- A Levels are great if you prefer class-based learning – Most GCSEs are academic subjects that are taught in a classroom environment, so if you thrived at school and achieved great results, it may be a sign that this setting suits you. A Levels are also often classroom, studio- or lab-based, but you will also be encouraged to do your own research and study outside of lessons.
- A Levels lead to Higher Education – As a Level 3 qualification like the International Baccalaureate, BTEC’s/vocational and T Levels, A Levels accrue UCAS points and help you meet the entry requirements for university. A Levels are a traditional route to Higher Education and previous BTC students have gained places at Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial College London, Bristol, Birmingham, Exeter, Cardiff, Durham, Edinburgh, and many other Russell Group universities.
- A Level students aim for Oxbridge – If you aspire to a place at a top university, BTC’s Honours Academy can help you work towards your goal. The Honours Academy prepares you for the competitive applications process, providing everything from master classes to mock interviews, visiting experts to alumni Q&As. If you dream of Oxford or Cambridge, or a medical career, there are specific pathways and support available.
- A Levels are widely recognised by universities and employers – A Levels are established and well-respected qualifications, recognised and valued by universities and employers as a sign of academic ability and intellectual achievement.
- A Level students get one-to-one support – You will have weekly sessions with a personal tutor and be part of a tutor group. Your tutor will help you set personal development targets and support you throughout your time at College. Our Wellbeing team also offer a safe space to talk and be listened to as part of our suite of support services.
- A Level students go on trips – As part of your A Level study, you may have the opportunity to go on field trips to get first-hand experience of the topic you’re learning about. For example, Sociology students have visited HMP Bristol, Law students the Houses of Parliament, and students learning languages have been to France, Italy and the Czech Republic.
- A Level enrichment gives you the edge – As well as the extracurricular activities like Team BTC, BTC Active and the Academies, you can join clubs and activities such as creative writing, Duke of Edinburgh’s Award, debating, Model United Nations, Chemistry Olympiad and the Extended Project Qualification, a standalone course that looks great on your CV and prepares you for uni. You might even want to start a club of your own!
- A Level students receive iPads – As part of BTC’s digital transformation project, every A Level student receives an iPad to use for their studies. The tech makes it easier for you to complete research and wider reading, access multimedia resources and communication tools, and collaborate with your classmates on shared projects and revision materials.
A Levels are just one of the options you can choose from after school. Every course – A Levels, International Baccalaureate, BTEC’s/vocational qualifications, Apprenticeships, T Levels – offers you something different, so it’s important to weigh up your options and pick the right one for you.
We’re here to help! If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Bridgwater & Taunton College’s Information and Advice team on 01278 441234 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Our website www.btc.ac.uk will also allow you to view the course options, enrichment opportunities and support services available for you to access. Alternatively, come along to one of our open events; view our facilities, speak with our experienced staff and experience the BTC atmosphere.